"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died & your life is now hidden with Christ in God."

Sunday, July 18, 2010

the heart of the city

I'm moved by people, by big groups of people, by the city life. My team is headed this next week to a camp in Illinois, so we've spent the weekend hanging out in Chicago. The guys suprised the girls tonight with a nice note and fun night out on the town as a team. It was a blast! But as we walked among the swarms of people I couldn't help but ache a little. There are so many people out there begging for somebody to care a little, to share a little. The streets of Chicago and every other town in America and around the globe are bursting at the seams with people who desperately need Christ. That's so humbling... and disturbing.
I was thinking as I was walking, "God, send me to the city." I want to bring hope to hopeless people; I want to bring the good news of salvation to the lost. I don't know where God will lead me in days and years to come, but I pray that maybe He'll lead me to the heart of the city. I believe that the heart of the city is broken, and it's broken in ways that only God can mend with His love and His grace that was demonstrated in perfect victory on the cross. I recently read a book that contained a simple quote "God-sized wounds require God-sized answers." They've got real big problems out there "in the world"- but there ain't nothing God can't handle. There ain't nothing He can't sovereignly mend or restore.
I'm quite sure my thoughts probably resemble very little clarity or sense... but it's 1:30 in the AM so not a lot is clear for myself either :)

No comments:

Post a Comment