"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died & your life is now hidden with Christ in God."

Friday, December 31, 2010

"savor the now"

I opened up a Dove wrapper once that read "Savor the now." I like that. I'm a couple hours away from my twenty-second annual new year. Like the rest of the world, I'm not all that great at sticking to "New Year's Resolutions." In fact, by the third week in January I don't even know what I resolved to do! Eh, who needs resolutions anyway?

But on the other hand, there is something refreshing about new beginnings. It's kind of nice to put another year in the past and welcome in a new one. It's also kind of neat to reflect on what's happened in a year's time. Actually, come to think of it, I can't think of a lot that's happened in the last year. (That could make for a boring post...) The year to come will be interesting, though. I graduate college in May. My youngest brother graduates high school while I will be half way around the world in South Africa. My parents turn 60 (I think...) and they'll celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary this year (which makes out to be a lot of new years).

The rest is yet to be... I don't really know what's ahead, and I think I'm ok with that. James 4:13-17 says "Now listen, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.' Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, 'If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that.' ... Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins." Life is short. No body knows how many New Years they'll celebrate. There's only now! Many yesterdays have become treasured memories, many others have become painful reminders; but that was yesterday. There's only now. This year will bring 365 tomorrows, "if the Lord wills." I'm trusting Him to fill those days as He sees fit.

So, this year, I choose to savor the NOW. I choose to redeem the time. I choose to do the good I know I ought to do. This year my only resolution is to make the most of the year and all the moments that fill it so that I don't come to this point next year with regrets.

Happy New Year (insert your name here)!

No comments:

Post a Comment