"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died & your life is now hidden with Christ in God."

Saturday, August 7, 2010

in the midst of holy moments

I LOVE QUOTES! I'm in the process of going through some of my favorite books picking out some great quotes to decorate my bathroom at school with. I came across a few in a book I read at the beginning of summer that got my little head thinking. The book is entitled Thin Places by Mary DeMuth. It's a memoir about a woman who was dealt one lousy hand after another (figuratively speaking). The things that she has lived through and experienced don't even happen in my most frightening nightmares! And yet, in the midst of her circumstances she's sought to see God's handiwork. She's learned to trust His heart and His perfect plan. This is what she writes:

"God's fingerprints are everywhere- in the sacred intersection of melancholy and joy. Surely God is in the nooks and crannies of my life, stooping to earth to woo me.... I live in the midst of holy moments. I claw at the seams of life, questioning God's ways, seldom realizing that if I'd stop clawing, I would capture new glimpses of Him through the thin places. God woos me from behind the veil through the tragedies, beauties, suprises, simplicities, and snatches of my life I might overlook."

What beautiful thoughts! I was talking to a good friend a week ago about the ways that God uses trials in our lives to teach us. What I think I often forget is that life is full of divine opportunities to get to know God's heart and His character. He reveals Himself in all things, in all circumstances. Trials, troubles and tribulations all open the door for us to see God in a different light. This school year I want to see God for who He is. I want to know His character. I don't want to ask "why?" anymore, I want to ask "how can I know and reflect God in this situation?" I know that I will be tested and tried, but those things only work on my behalf- establishing patience, perseverance, and perfection (James 2). I'm going into this school year on the prowl for sacred intersections, for holy moments, and for thin places. I want to see God! The end of Job is pretty sweet. Job 42:1-6 read "Then Job replied to the Lord: 'I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted. You asked, "Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?" Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know. You said "Listen now, and I will speak; I will question you, and you shall answer me." My ears had heard of you BUT NOW my eyes have seen you. Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes." After all was said and done- after Job had been tested and tried- THEN he saw God for who He was! Let it be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment