"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died & your life is now hidden with Christ in God."

Saturday, August 28, 2010

too big for any box

JJ Heller has a song called "Small" talking about the God we often try to create- a God that's comprehendable, a God that's containable, a God that's comfortable- but God is not pocket-sized and He isn't what I think He is! He's BIG. But that three letter word doesn't even begin to size Him up. There are no words. There are no definitions. There cannot be a "Sunday School answer." (see Isaiah 40:6-31)

But I often carry Him around in my little "God-box" and bring Him out like show-n'-tell when I expect Him to do something beyond myself. But truth be known, every breath and every task, each and every day is God-sized, it's all beyond me! I'm not capable in my own strength. Why don't I have a God-sized God? What gets into me to make me think that I can do anything for myself? Wouldn't it be crazy sweet if I lived like my God was too big for any box? What if we all did?

I'm glad God is bigger than I will ever comprehend. I'm glad His power is greater. I'm glad He is completely sovereign. I'm glad He doesn't need me. I'm glad I'm not the center of His world. But I pray that He will be the center of mine. I pray that He'll constantly awe me and wow me and remind me that I will never understand. I will never comprehend.

Anyway, here's the song I mentioned earlier:


Cardboard cutouts on the floor
People wish that you were more
like what they wanted you to be
Eventually they won’t have much of you
at all in their theology
The walls are closing in on you
You cannot be contained at all
I don’t want to make you small
I don’t want to fit you in my pocket
A cross around my throat
You are brighter than the sun
You’re closer than the tiny thoughts I have of you
But I could never fathom you at all
Broken moldings all around
Broken people hit the ground
When they discover that you’re not here for our benefit
You love in spite of us
You use the least of us
to prove the strong aren’t really strong at all

No comments:

Post a Comment